The flesh of hake is suited for pan-frying, a simple method that – if done correctly – ensures crisp, golden skin and flaky white flesh. The time taken to pan-fry depends on the thickness of the fish, so keep a close eye on it.
- Heat a large non-stick pan with a dash of oil over medium heat.
- Season the fillet of hake with salt and place in the pan, skin-side down.
- Leave the hake fillet for about 3–4 minutes until the skin has become crisp, then turn over and cook for a further minute.
- To check the fish is cooked insert a metal skewer into the thickest part of the fish, it should go through easily and be warm to the touch.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.