Catalonian Braised Hake
Time: 40 mins
Serve: 2 ppl
1 onion 2 garlic cloves
A handful of flat-leaf parsley A splash of olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper A pinch of chili powder
A tin of chopped tomatoes 2 hake fillets
1 lemon 2 large handfuls of baby leaf spinach
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves, keeping them separate.
2. Warm a splash of olive oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add the onion. Season. Fry over low heat for 5 mins till the onion is just softened. Stir often.
3. Stir the garlic and parsley stalks into the onion. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (it’s pretty spicy, so add as little or as much as you like). Cook and stir for 1 min till the pan smells aromatic and spicy.
4. Add the tomatoes to the pan. Half-fill the can with water. Add that to the pan too. Cover. Bring the tomato sauce to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 8-10 mins till the sauce starts to thicken.
5. Add the hake fillets to the pan, skin side down. Pop the lid back on. Simmer for 8-10 mins till the fish is opaque and cooked through.
6. Halve the lemon. Juice one-half. Slice the other half into wedges for later. Pop the salad in a bowl and drizzle over the lemon juice. Season. Toss to mix.