Smoked Mussels with Garlic, Butter, and Herbs
1kg Ready to Cook Blue Mussels 1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup salted butter, cubed
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic 3/4 cup apple wood chips
4 lemon wedges
- Stir together olive oil, parsley, chives, tarragon, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2 Preheat the barbecue to high (around 230 – 250 C). Place the mussels, garlic, and butter in a large-sized disposable aluminum pan.
- 3 Poke a dozen 2 cm-sized holes in one end of the disposable aluminum pan. Place wood chips over the holes, and place the pan on the barbecue with wood chips directly over the flame. Heat until wood chips start to smoke for about 10 minutes. Place a foil pan with mussels onto a grate beside the pan with wood chips. Cover both pans tightly with aluminum foil. Cook, covered until mussels are opened, about 15 minutes. Any mussels that have not opened can simply be prised open with a knife.
- 4 Place mussels in a large bowl and drizzle with butter mixture from the cooking pan.
- 5 Sprinkle with herbs and serve with lemon wedges.