This miso-marinated black cod recipe was inspired by famous restaurateur Nobu Matsuhisa, the man behind the international sensation—the Nobu restaurant. This specific recipe was included in his best-seller, Nobu: The Cookbook.
A miso marinade is always a crowd pleaser and the beauty of this recipe is that the black cod must be marinated in advance, which means all that is left to be done the day of is to cook it. Ideal for those who want to prep ahead for the week and just want to pop a meal into the oven when they get home.
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 4 tablespoons of white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 4 black cod fillets, about 1/2 pound each
- Sushi ginger (optional)
- Chopped herbs such as parsley or cilantro (optional)
- One or two nights before serving time, combine the mirin, sake, miso and sugar in a small pan and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Pat the black cod dry with paper towels and place the fish and marinade in a container, making sure the marinade is lathered on. Leave overnight.
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Remove excess marinade and add oil to a skillet on the stove-top. Cook the fish on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until slightly charred before transferring it to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with chopped herbs and sushi ginger.