- Prepare the squids – Pat dry the cleaned squids with a kitchen towel to remove excess water. Cut it into half-inch rings or small bite-size pieces.
- Season the squid rings with salt, pepper, and Shao Xing wine. Mix it well for a few seconds then add egg white and cornstarch. Mix it well until it becomes thick and sticky.
- Combine cornstarch, plain flour, and baking powder in a bowl. Dredge each squid ring in the flour mix and coat it well.
- Then set them aside on a plate or tray and toss the excess flour out before frying.
- Fill the pot with enough oil to deep fry ( At least 3 inches ). Heat the oil to high heat at about 350°F ( 180° C ). Fry the coated squids in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until crispy golden brown. Remove from the oil and place them over the paper towel or wire rack. Fry with small batches and repeat the process until all the coated squids run out.
- Heat the large wok/pan to medium heat, drizzle 1 tbsp of oil and stir fry the garlic for a few seconds then add the minced chillies and crushed Sichuan peppercorns. Stir it well for 8-10 seconds or until fragrant.
- Next, add the fried squids and sprinkle salt, pepper, and chicken powder. Toss it well for a few seconds until all the ingredients combine evenly.
- Finish with chopped spring onions and transfer to a serving plate. Serve immediately.